Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I Rikee Mahketing


I've noticed this trend with Chinese restaurants here lately. The first was Chen's Noodle House. I got a flyer that is, to be perfectly honest, the best marketing thing I've ever seen in my entire life. It was rife with misspellings, bad grammar, and other Chinese translation errors ("Free Deliver!"). On top of that, the delivery logo guy had a hat on that said China King. It's like the people who started the place up just got off the boat and started it up. While I haven't gone yet, I must go because if they are real Chinese people then their Chinese has got to be better than the Americanized stuff at Panda Express.
Now there's the Asian Buffet. I've scanned the ad to the right and once again awesomness is in the cards. Take a look at the picture of the guy at the grill. You'd think, "oh, that's nice, a cooking guy." Instead, they want you to think "GRILL!" Fish on a plate? "SUSHI!" If that's not cool, I don't know what is. The other thing that I love is one of their big selling points right there on the side: "We Serve Beer!" Apparently they didn't realize that here in Utah the beer flows pretty freely. In fact, I think I've seen it at such places as grocery stores, convinience stores, and even other restaurants.

1 comment:

Derek said...

I would bet dollars to donuts that the Japanese Grill is the same thing as a Mongolian Grill, perhaps even the same one used at one of the many defunct buffets of yesteryear (including cook guy of ambiguous Asian or Latin American ancestry).

But this can be soundly explained away, as Northern Japan was populated by Mongols thousands of years ago, eventually bringing their grills, Chinese egg rolls, American chow mein, and NASTY sushi.

The best items at these places are:

the [insert country] -ese or -ian grill
chocolate pudding
soft serve (also often the worst item)
egg rolls
all other fried things

So since a few of the above are usually good, I like Asian buffets a lot.