- Disney is stopping the direct to DVD blight that was their sequels to classic Disney films. While that won't stop films that have already been made and possibly not ones that were already greenlit, this has to be counted as one of the greatest developments in the history of childrens filmmaking. Thank you Lasseter and Jobs for stopping the endless Disney rape of my childhood. While Disney wasn't ever on the On Notice section here, they should have been as they were certainly On Notice for that. Disney...you're hereby off notice.
- The Supreme Court struck down racial quotas for school enrollment. While I can see why this could be seen as a setback for civil rights, it's actually a step forward. I can see why it would have been necessary in the aftermath of Brown v. Board of Education because the South had to be forcibly integrated, but at this point in time it's a setback for civil rights. The best quote on the subject that I've ever heard is from Chief Justice Roberts (who has been a stellar pick so far IMO): "The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race." That's a novel concept that has been ignored by too many for too long.
- Dual car bombs in London that probably should have exploded last night in Picadilly Circus is not a good sign for the British (or the US for that matter). Based on a variety of factors (including the use of Mercedes Benzes - the third world dictator/Arab terrorist car of choice) you might as well assume that this is the work of Islamic extremists that may or may not be a part of al Qaeda. The big question that I have is why Britain is such a fat target. I honestly would think that the US would be a jucier one, but ever since September 11 we haven't had anything happen. Meanwhile in Britain they've had Richard Reid (could technically be a plot against us too, as it was a Transatlantic flight), the subway bombings, last year's airline plot (see Richard Reid's parentheses), and now this. Someone's mad at them for being more than just the Little Satan. It's no coincidence that only about 10 days ago those al Qaeda "attack the West" training videos appeared from under some Pakistani stone. While these wouldn't have approached the destructive level that the Marine barracks bombing in Beirut did, Picadilly Circus is teeming with people and there could easily have been hundreds of casualties.
- The iPhone is out, let the madness ensue!
- Finally, in the movies that I must see before the end of summer category, A Mighty Heart. I got the book when it came out a few years back and it was absolutely incredible. If you haven't read it, I highly (moreso than anything else I've reviewed here) recommend reading it. You can pick it up right here for under 3 bucks for the hardcover (+ S&H). Take a look at the trailer. If you are in the market for a movie and aren't opposed to R ratings, see this film:
Friday, June 29, 2007
Friday Quick Hits/Miscellany
A lot of thoughts for today and I know that if I try to make a post out of each of them, most will go either as little tiny posts or else unsaid.