Tuesday, May 02, 2006

What the deuce?


Here is a little bit of a follow up on my my previous post regarding a certain credit card company. I recieved a letter today from Capital One which read,

"Thank you for choosing to keep your credit card account with Capital One. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you in the future"

My only reaction to this was to quote Stewie, "What the devil are you talking about?" The letter continued,

"As we stated in our conversation we will no longer assess a membership fee".

That was actually not stated at all during our conversation, however the letter was now making me somewhat happier. That is really all I wanted in the first place, but when I inquired about that option I was specifically told that my account did not allow for such a switch.
Anyway, we continue...

"By remaining a Capital One Cardmember you will continue to enjoy all the advantages that come with carrying a Capital One card, including:
  • Emergency cash at ATMs worldwide
  • Quality 24-hour toll-free customer service
  • Worldwide Acceptance"
Obviously Capital One and I have differeing views as to what constitues "quality" customer service. I require a certain level of assistance and the capacity for abstract thought, they require a pulmonary organ. I base that assumption on the numerous calls I have placed to Capital One.

Shortly after the arrival of this letter I recieved my monthly statement (it came about a week after, someties there is a lag time on when I get around to actualy opening my mail. This particular letter I actually opened during the writing of this blog) The statement showed a balance of 88.65. 59.00 for the annual fee, 29.00 for a pass due fee (for not paying the fee that was supposed to be waived) and .65 for a finance charge. I called Capital One and, to make a long boring story short, the fee was waived again (both the annual and the late) and currently my account remains open. I will say that the rep. I talked to was suprisingly helpful. In any case the decision remains as to what to do with my account. I think I'll leave it up to the readers

What should Forro do?

Keep the account open, and be happy he got his way.
Close the account and stick it to them.
Wait for the next letter to arrive to see if the fees are actually erased.
View Results

No comments: