Monday, April 17, 2006

The No-Hassle Hassle


Many years ago, 6 to be exact, I applied for my first credit card. Due to my inexperience I picked just an application at random from the thousands I was receiving in the mail each day. By happenstance I ended up with a Capital One Visa Card. I started with a 200.00 credit limit (that is what you get for having absolutely no credit history) and an annual fee of 59.00. "Well that is an awfully high fee for such a low limit" you are probably telling yourself. Yes it is true, but again I was inexperienced. Well to make a long story short I haven't carried a balance on the card, or even used it for that matter, for approximately 4 years now. Bit by bit my limit was increased to the present day limit of 650.00. "Well with an annual fee of 59.00 why did you keep it so long", you must be asking yourself. Well I had received the advice that having a credit line with impeccable standing for that length of time was of great benefit to my credit score. This may or may not be true, but in any case I have grown tired of paying 59.00 a year for the privilege of handling a Capital One card. So with my dues on the horizon I finally decided to nail the Capital One Coffin shut. My conversation went something like this (after pressing a series of buttons to talk to a person that is).

Me: "I'd like to cancel my credit card"
CC Rep: (in a fake shocked tone) "Oh, but why"
Me: "Well it doesn't seem worth it to have a card with a 600.00 limit and an annual fee of 59.00, that is 10% of my credit line."
CC Rep: "650.00 dollar limit sir."
Me: "Yes, well my point remains."
CC Rep: "What if we increase your limit"
Me: "Still it seems that if I'm going to pay 59.00 a month that I might as well just stick with a rewards card"
CC Rep: "It is 59.00 a year"
Me: "Yeah that is what I mean, 59.00 a year. I mean isn't Capital One supposed to be the 'No Hassle' card company? How about you just waive the hassle of my annual fee each year?"
CC Rep: "We can't do that sir, but how about if we increase your credit limit"
Me: "No thanks, I might as well just stick with a rewards card like Skymiles"
CC Rep: "We do have rewards sir"
Me: "Like what?"
CC Rep: "Yadda yadda yadda" She said a bunch of stuff attempting to extol the virtues of my Capital One Card, but I was busy organizing my iTunes and didn't really bother to listen, I already have a Skymiles card, so really it was a moot point. Besides they don't really have any rewards for my particular card unless you count the reward of receiving a bill each year.
Me: "Ya know that just doesn't interest me, so I'll go ahead and cancel the card just the same"
CC Rep: in a very huffy tone "alright sir"

So anyway, hopefully if you have a Capital One (or like) card you aren't being hassled by annual fees. If you are I suggesting getting a Skymiles or HHonors card...your annual fee will be far better spent.

**Thanks to Horsey for letting me both use and alter his comic just a bit.
***Capital One did waive this year's annual fee, so good on them for that.

No comments: