Sunday, November 05, 2006

Sweet x Awesome

I'm particularly proud of my latest purchase:


If that shows up as an empty box, my purchase is U2 By U2, a monster biography of the world's greatest band. Yeah, I know that a lot of people don't like Bono's pontificating or they think that The Beatles were clearly superior (they're not. Exhibit A: "Love Me Do"), but you can't deny that they have had a ton of success. The really amazing thing isn't that they've managed to stay both relevant and popular for nigh unto 25 years, but that it's the same band that entire time. I could say that no other band has ever been both popular and stable like this in the history of music and I would probably be right. It was 21 bucks at Costco, and when you see a discount like that on a book like this, you have to get it. It has all kinds of pictures, tales of the band and the music, and so forth. I have to say that if you are a U2 fan, this is a must purchase, even more than U2 At the End of the World (which I didn't think could be surpassed - and can't as a narrative of life with the band). I haven't read the whole thing, and I've got other books in the queue, but I recommend this sucker more highly than almost anything else.

4 comments:

Derek said...

Oh, don't even compare the two!

The Beatles were clearly superior. I can barely believe I'm having to type this.
Exhibit A: Abbey Road;
Exhibit B: Revolver;
Exhibit C: The White Album
Exhibit D: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band;
Exhibit E: Rubber Soul

All better than any U2 album.

Beau Sorensen said...

You're talking to someone who is not a fan of The Beatles at all. There are a few songs that are good, and I acknowledge that they have done a lot for rock (I wouldn't say that they were the keys to modern rock - that's still and always will be Elvis Presley, even though I don't care for him either). I would put The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, All That You Can't Leave Behind, and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb above every other album in my musical pantheon.
I really like the socio-religious aspect to U2's music, but that's not something you'll find in stuff from The Beatles. Instead it's nonsensical (often repetitive) words (Love Me Do, Happy Birthday) backed up by catchy music and/or catchy acid-fueled insanity (Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Yellow Submarine). That's not to say I don't like some of their stuff, but I just can't even put them in the same ballpark as U2.

Derek said...

Agree to disagree. My opinion is better than yours, that's all.

themickel said...

Oh come on, you two, the Beatles are make-believe. Like elves, goblins or eskimos.