Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Something to Chew On

From today's WSJ:
The treatment President Bush has received from this country is nothing less than a disgrace. The attacks launched against him have been cruel and slanderous, proving to the world what little character and resolve we have. The president is not to blame for all these problems. He never lost faith in America or her people, and has tried his hardest to continue leading our nation during a very difficult time.

Our failure to stand by the one person who continued to stand by us has not gone unnoticed by our enemies. It has shown to the world how disloyal we can be when our president needed loyalty -- a shameful display of arrogance and weakness that will haunt this nation long after Mr. Bush has left the White House.

I couldn't agree more. To conservatives out there, I urge you to avoid bushing President Obama. To liberals, I ask that you avoid the urge to gloat. Celebrate, certainly. But let's get down to the business of making this nation a better place.

3 comments:

Michael 聖 Brady said...

here here. i totally agree.

Derek said...

I completely disagree. Bush and Cheney did not stand by me. They worked their butts off to chip away at my civil rights, for starters.

Every president makes big mistakes, and I agree that we have to give them a lot of latitude. Also, the president is always unfairly made the scapegoat of every problem in our country, though he is not responsible for or capable of solving each one.

I have to say, though, the arrogant party during the past eight years was the Bush administration. It was so sure its course was correct that it ignored many reasonable voices during its power, leaving the reputation of the United States in tatters and ballooning our national debt.

I agree with the article that Bush tried to work across party lines for some things that didn't work out, but Lord knows the disrespect the country is showing him now is not because of immigration.

I am completely willing to forgive all of this if the Republicans and Democrats will now work together under Obama to restore my civil rights and get us out of foreign entanglements.

As for gloating, I doubt the ability of either conservatives or liberals to behave well after a large victory, since neither ever has.

Anonymous said...

While I certainly don't think that we should disrespect President Bush I do think we should tell the truth. He didn't stand by America. He hurt America. I won't call him names, but I will say that he simply has been the worst President in my short adult life.

I won't gloat. I'm glad that Barack won. Now he needs to do his job or he'll be out. My vote isn't guaranteed in 2012.