Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Book Review: The Templar Legacy


Genre: Dan Brown Fiction
496 pages
What to say about this book? It was a turn away from my recent non-fiction binge, and I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, it was a well written book along the lines of The Da Vinci Code. On the other hand, Berry used some characters (well, the whole book) to set forth a plotline that I had telegraphed about 100 pages before, as the sympathetic Muslim character (as opposed to some of the more bloodthirsty Christian characters) had essentially told me what would end up happening. It wasn't what I had hoped for. I don't want to give away the ending in case some of the readers here decide to give it a read, so I'll try and be careful.
While people were angry with Dan Brown for his portrayal of a married Christ (if you haven't read Da Vinci by now, I'm sorry, but you will just have to deal with the revelation. Just like with The Sixth Sense and the whole dead Bruce Willis thing, the statute of limitations has long expired. In fact, I hereby place a 1 year grace period on any shocking twists in a book or movie. If you haven't seen or read it by that time, you don't care enough to beat me if I spoil something), I think they'll be far more angry with the "revelations" in this book. Likewise, if you thought Brown stretched things a bit far, you'll think that Berry stretched them even further. In the end it was a relatively good book, but not one that is worth owning. Perhaps a library would be the best place for it in the end. Read if you want.

No comments: