Friday, August 10, 2007

Oh How It Was Almost Different

Long story short: we have 2 management meetings here. One is for the top 7 people in the company and one is for them + the people below them. The worst ones are the second, bigger meetings. They can go on for about forever. Today, however, was different. Everything was set up for it to be a nice, quick meeting. Our ultra-long winded EVP was out of town for the week and I was in charge of the show (which is why I didn't do my running diary of the meeting. I am looking forward to breaking it out in September though.) so it should have been easy. We did the agenda, I kept things tight, and we were on track to being done in under 2 hours, which is such a Herculean feat that I never thought I'd see it in my lifetime. Unfortunately, real life crept in and on the last item of the agenda, everything spiraled out of control. Now we're close to 2 hours of discussion on that issue alone and I'm going crazy. I've downed half a protein shake (8 oz) and 44 oz of water, took a massive pee break, and messed around with TGFQ. (Hence the blog updates and the post.) Meetings shouldn't be something to be dreaded, but when we always always always run them right through lunch, I get sick of it. You should be eating 6 small meals a day for the optimum metabolism level and whatnot and so I'm on a pretty darn good schedule...7, 9:30, noon, 3, 6, 9. However, when the meeting blows through one of them, it causes a scad of problems, especially when it's Smokehouse Friday. Short of using one of those little chess timers, a battery, and jumper cables, how do you stop people from yapping so much?

No comments: