Saturday, October 20, 2007

Where The Eagles Dare

One of the things that I used to do a lot more before I was married is listening to concerts on DVD. I am not much for watching the concert in general. It’s just not as exciting without 20,000+ screaming other people around you, although I do make an exception for U2 concerts because I find them fabulous spectacles. Nevertheless, the concert DVD that I keep going back to (and did tonight since my wife’s in bed trying to recuperate) is The Eagles’ Hell Freezes Over. I’m not quite sure why I like it as much as I do because while I do like The Eagles, there are several bands I like more. I think it’s a combination of a great setlist, a nice subtle crowd, and the definitive versions of some of their classics, including “Desperado,” “Hotel California,” and a couple of Don Henley hits – “Heart of the Matter” and “New York Minute.” It’s probably not in the best interests of me knowing what’s going on because I crank up the volume and really let it go with all 5.1 channels of DTS surround sound. Nevertheless, it’s what I’d consider one of my reference disks not because of the picture, but because the sound mixing is absolutely incredible. You sound like you’re actually in the crowd, and I love this disk for that. Here’s a little taste courtesy of YouTube. Give the whole disk a spin – it’s well worth it!

No comments: