Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Captain Ahab

So I went hunting for the Great White Whale today. Except replace "Great" and "White" with "any" and "type of." Let me just say that if you ever get a chance to do this, jump at it. While I'm someone who can step on a boat and get seasick, this was an incredible thing to do. I have heard that in the Pacific it can be a challenge to see the whales, but just off of Massachusetts, we ran into a couple of stragglers and then a giant pod of 12 whales. It was amazing seeing them do their thing. I got sunburned like you would not believe because we had packed the sunscreen in our checked luggage on account of our flying home today and the TSA's liquid rules (which brings me to a tangent: I am not a fan of al Qaeda for one reason above all - they make our lives miserable with new restrictions. I'm just waiting for a pants bomber to come along and then we won't be able to travel wearing pants for who knows how long). Anyway, here's a couple of pictures - they aren't all the best, because the whales got right up next to the boat and I had my daughter in one arm, camera in the other, and zoom lens attached. Suffice it to say, I didn't need that as much as I thought.

No comments: