Saturday, February 04, 2006

We Don't Do the Limbo

Crap! I lost my freaking post! Why do I do these things to myself?! Note to Google: please institute Ctrl-z ASAP. Well, long story short, because I don't want to go back and get the picture and links again, here's an approximation of what I said.
The Catholic Church is eliminating limbo. That's great for the babies of the world who died before being baptized, because I guess they will go back to heaven or something. I don't think they'll return to hell, which is where they were before Pope Innocent III came up with the concept in the mid 1100s. The way I see this, Pope Benedict has painted himself into a bit of a corner. By eliminating limbo as a concept in the church, it's either acknowledging that Popes are in fact sometimes full of crap or it acknowledges that God is a changing God, which really would do the same thing, as Popes have said that that isn't the case. I guess the net result is that Popes can indeed be full of crap. That, in turn, would seem to drive a bit of a stake through the heart of the Vatican. Of course, the Catholic church has done this before, most notably with the Nicean Creed, but this is news because it's now! I think they'll get through this, but it certainly augments the claims of people like Martin Luther who said that was the case.

No comments: