Thursday, November 08, 2007

St.Thomas: The Island Review

Here are the good things and bad things that I've experienced here on my trip. One thing to keep in mind is that I am, by nature, an explorer, not a knock-abouter. I want to see things that I haven't seen before, not lounge on a beach.


Why I don't like beaches:

I used to, I really did. I remember them being a highlight of my family's frequent trips to Southern California, even though SoCal beaches are the equivalent of a meal at Chili's. You could do worse, but you could do a lot better too. St. Thomas' beaches are definitely like a trip to Gordon Ramsey's restaurants. They are incredible, no question about it. At the same time, I am not a fan of salt water. It's just plain nasty tasting, and you taste too much of it at the ocean. I think that's my biggest problem with it, is the salt. Give me some chlorine and a pool instead. That's the great thing about where we are - the pool is right by the ocean.

Back to St Thomas:
The Good - Warm weather, friendly people, no hurricanes, amazing scenery
The Bad - Driving on the wrong side of the road, nobody obeys traffic laws, mosquitos that have made me a buffet line, high prices.

Overall it's been a ton of fun. I'm going to begin on an election thoughts post here and we'll see if I can make it through before my daughter wakes up and we're back out in the sun

No comments: