Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Japan: The Fetish Industry's Best Friend

File this one under "Only In Japan." Apparently Akihabara isn't just the garishly festooned epicenter of Japan's Geek Culture anymore. Well, maybe it is. Whichever, it is an area where you can get your cosplay freak on. There are two rival cafes, Cure Maid Cafe and Cafe & Kitchen Cos-Cha, that make everybody who's wanted to be served by a French Maid's dreams come true. This story's been out a while in the Mainichi Daily News, but I just stumbled upon it during one of my random "what's up in Japan" searches. I can't imagine this working anywhere else. It's truly one of those things that makes Japan so uniquely Japanese. I'm just surprised that I hadn't heard about it, either from one of my sojourns in Tokyo or from Derek's blog.
While we do have Hooters here in the US, I don't think this would go well, unless it was just outside of UC Berkeley. Nevertheless, take a gander, and if you happen to be a woman between the ages of 18-27 and can speak Japanese and (and this is the big one here) don't mind being oogled by this guy, then feel free to apply here.

No comments: