Monday, June 25, 2007

Amazing


The International Herald Tribune has an incredible story about the most wounded soldier ever to survive. He was shot in the head and the bullet severed his spinal cord, leaving him a quadriplegic. That was followed by a couple of heart attacks caused by his injuries that left him blind with some brain damage. While his family has spared no expense in saving him and while it'[s incredible that he's alive, this seems to have an element of "Look What We Can Do With Science" to it. Here you have someone who for all intents and purposes is a brain. He's a brain that can't see or move and that can barely communicate. If those are his wished, bully for him because I know that I could never do it. Sure you could hear, but you'd be stuck inside your head for eternity. I honestly would beg to be put out of commission at that point. It's gone too far, there's no life left to be lived. I would be a burden on my family and on myself. Let me pass over to the other side and everyone would be happier. Really it's incredible this is possible, but just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

No comments: